Alabama defeats Florida 80-69 in SEC First Round.
- There have been two times when I have been embarrassed as a Gator basketball fan; the blowout loss at UK in 2003 on ESPN when it was our first game as No. 1. And tonight. They were down 23 at the half and 14-0 to start the game. I know that some of, well, all of these guys cannot play defense or set up each other, but at least try. The first half was an abomination. If it wasn't for Alex Tyus acting like a man, it could have been worse.
- Speaking of Tyus, God Bless him because he has absolutely zero offensive touch but the kid will bang. He got eight boards and blew that many put backs. But the kid was ready to play at least. Unlike, oh I don't know, Calathes and Speights? Tyus played 21 minutes, Speights played 20.
- Speights came through in the second half as did Calathes, but maybe the ship has sailed on the Lake Howell kid. Calathes seemed like the torch barer for the Noah-Horford-Brewer Era, but now it appears as if he is in the style of Roberson and Walsh. His defense has been terrible all year and he was not rotating at all when UF would double down on Hendrix. There was even a sequence in the second half where his layup was blocked, he went to the floor, and never got back to the defensive end as Bama nailed a three. Tyus and Parsons have definitely gotten better, but I fear Calathes has regressed.
- During the first half, do you think Larry Shyatt was cutting his wrists using a razor or knife? The first 20 minutes must have felt like death to him. He went from making Lee Humphrey into a good defender to watching the entire starting five get owned tonight.
- Dan Werner was 2-10 for six points and two rebounds. I hope next year his role is more defined because I have no clue what it was this year. Is he an oversized guard or undersized forward?
- Late in the broadcast, they showed David Huertas with his Ole Miss teammates. Huertas most likely would have started on this team. I was so aggravated at the game, I actually yelled at him for transferring even though I think he sucks.
- Jo Noah and Al Horford both spoke to the team prior to Thursday's game. I can only assume the players had their iPods in as Noah and Horford spoke. That or those two have zero emotion and are terrible leaders. You decide.
- This was a terrible way to end UF's defense of the SEC Crown. But the worst is sure to come Sunday. The last time UF was not in the NCAAs was when I was 14. Remember, all good things must end. Otherwise, they wouldn't end.