No intention of applying for redshirt ---> RT @GatorZoneJenna: Muschamp says Dominique Easley definitely going to the NFL next season.— Chris Harry (@GatorZoneChris) September 30, 2013
Easley, who suffered a torn ACL and a torn meniscus in his right knee last Tuesday at practice, could have applied for a medical redshirt that would have given him a fifth year of eligibility and played for Florida in 2014. But with his injury history — Easley has now torn ACLs in both knees — and a large NFL payday likely forthcoming, the beloved Gators hellraiser is likely making the smartest decision for his career.
If he can demonstrate to NFL teams that he has fully recovered from his injury during the pre-draft process, and assuage their fears about picking a player with multiple ACL tears in his background, Easley could certainly follow former Gator Sharrif Floyd's path and be selected in the first round of the 2014 NFL Draft. Walter Football had Easley going to the Atlanta Falcons with the 20th pick of the first round in a mock 2014 draft published last Monday.
As with any player leaving Florida, I wish Easley the best in his future endeavors — and I hope that, despite his professed antipathy for the South, he makes a few return trips to Gainesville.
More from Alligator Army:
- Florida vs. LSU: Gators' trip to Baton Rouge set for CBS, 3:30 p.m. start in Tiger Stadium
- Florida vs. Arkansas: Gators' clash with Razorbacks set for 7 p.m. on ESPN2
- Florida vs. Kentucky, Theater of Operations: The defense shines against the Wildcats
- Chomping at Bits: Matt Jones knows who he is now
- Florida's Poll Position: Gators up one spot in Week 6 USA TODAY poll, AP Top 25 Poll