Here is the sequence of events that is unfolding in Gainesville today:
1. Florida cancelled its Monday press conference.
Florida has postponed/canceled its Monday football media availability. "Will reschedule this week."— Thomas Goldkamp (@Goldkamp247) October 6, 2014
2. Almost immediately, Associated Press reporter Mark Long issued this tweet.
What I'm hearing about the Gators, if true, doesn't sound good at all— Mark Long (@APMarkLong) October 6, 2014
3. FLORIDA TODAY's David Jones noted the rarity of a press conference being cancelled.
In 20-plus years #Gators beat, this is first Monday press conference called off. Used to be Tuesdays. Even had one on 9-11. Not good.— David Jones (@DaveJonesUFbeat) October 6, 2014
4. Everyone freaked out. Or made "jokes."
Uh oh. RT @APMarkLong: What I'm hearing about the Gators, if true, doesn't sound good at all— Morgan Moriarty (@Morgan_Moriarty) October 6, 2014
Yesssssssssssssssssss today is getting better. RT@APMarkLong: What I'm hearing about the Gators, if true, doesn't sound good at all— BurritoBrosShits (@BurritoBrosShit) October 6, 2014
To be fair, you could tweet this almost every day. RT @APMarkLong: What I'm hearing about the Gators, if true, doesn't sound good at all— Bryan Holt (@Bryan_Holt) October 6, 2014
I am hearing from my sources at @Sears that there is a national jorts shortage. This is why Florida canceled press conference.— RedditCFB (@RedditCFB) October 6, 2014
If the presser was canceled because Will Muschamp forgot to eat lunch that would be incredible— D.C. Reeves (@_DCReeves) October 6, 2014
5. Pat Dooley followed Long with a less cryptic tweet.
Something big about to happen at UF. Regular presser canceled.— Pat Dooley (@pat_dooley) October 6, 2014
7. Dave Jones dropped the bomb: Treon Harris is "being investigated" in a "legal matter."
Gainesville source has confirmed that #Gators quarterback Treon Harris is being investigated in a legal matter.— David Jones (@DaveJonesUFbeat) October 6, 2014
No charges have been field against Harris yet. #Gators— David Jones (@DaveJonesUFbeat) October 6, 2014
Jones also reported that this does not involve the future of Will Muschamp.
8. Richard Johnson reported Harris is suspended.
Team has been told Harris is suspended and team will be addressed at practice.— Richard Johnson (@RagjUF) October 6, 2014
The Gainesville Sun's Zach Abolverdi reports that Harris is suspended indefinitely.
9. Jones published an article on the matter.
A source close to the investigation has confirmed that the University of Florida police department is investigating University of Florida quarterback Treon Harris for a possible felony charge.
The source, speaking to FLORIDA TODAY, confirmed that Harris in all likelihood will be suspended from Saturday's LSU football game.
The source also said possible prosecution sounds extremely difficult.
10. Morgan Moriarty noted this ominous entry on the UF Police Department incident log.
The Springs Complex is where the majority of UF athletes who live on campus live. Harris, likely living on campus as a freshman, is very likely to be a Springs resident.
That, of course, does not mean that there's any connection between that incident and Harris.
11. Kevin Brockway tweeted from the Sun newsroom:
Per our newsroom, Gators QB Harris suspended over incident in which campus police were called Sat. night. More details developing.— Kevin Brockway (@gatorhoops) October 6, 2014
That would be at odds with an incident report from late Sunday night or early Monday morning.
12. Jones's TODAY story disappeared.
We have a screenshot.
13. WUFT, UF's on-campus TV station, reported that Harris's investigation has to do with an encounter with a female student.
Source: UFPD investigating #Gators QB Treon Harris for incident involving female UF student. No charges have been filed.— WUFT News (@WUFTNews) October 6, 2014
Certainly, and sadly, this is starting to sound very much like sexual assault, sexual battery, or rape.
14. Jones's story resurfaced, with better editing.
As in, a certain line has been cut:
One line in particular has been cut: "The source also said possible prosecution sounds extremely difficult."— Spencer Hall (@edsbs) October 6, 2014
15. Florida has released a statement.
16. Jones reported that a source told him this is a "he said, she said" case.
Sources said this is a "he said, she said'' case. UF pres. Bernie Machen: "We have no tolerance for sexual assault on our campus.'' #Gators— David Jones (@DaveJonesUFbeat) October 6, 2014
17. Florida running backs Kelvin Taylor and Brandon Powell sent tweets of note.
— KelvinTaylor (@Kelvintaylor21) October 6, 2014
Powell sent this and deleted it with an half-hour.
18. Yahoo! Sports's Pat Forde reported that no arrest has been made, per UPD.
Harris has not been arrested, per UF Campus Police Maj. Brad Barber. Investigation ongoing.— Pat Forde (@YahooForde) October 6, 2014
19. Mike Bianchi tweeted the first quote I've seen from Huntley Johnson, the lawyer representing Harris.
Treon Harris attorney Huntley Johnson: "No, he has not been arrested and I don't expect him to be." #Gators— Mike Bianchi (@BianchiWrites) October 6, 2014
Bianchi also tweets an Orlando Sentinel report with information from Johnson.
20. A Gainesville Police Department Forensic Crime Unit truck is photographed outside Springs.
21. GPD clarified its role in this case.
The Gainesville Police Department’s Forensic Crime Unit has been asked by the University of Florida Police Department to assist in collecting possible items of forensic evidence on UF campus related to the recently-announced investigation of Treon Harris.
The Gainesville Police Department will not have an active role in the filing of any charges in this case as it falls in the jurisdiction of the University of Florida Police Department.
Forensic evidence collection, testing and analysis takes at least several weeks to be completed. Due to the open and active investigation, GPD will be unable to comment on any forensic evidence collected.
The only role of the Gainesville Police Department at this time is with the Forensic Crime Unit.
This is serious. Be serious about it here, or you will be made to be childish about it elsewhere.