Reviewing our 25 predictions from Florida’s opener against Massachusetts...
- Both teams will score touchdowns. Right. UMass only scored on the ground, and Florida only scored through the air.
- Florida will lead by double digits in the first half. Wrong. Florida didn’t lead by double digits until the fourth quarter.
- Florida will lead by at least two touchdowns at halftime. Wrong. Just a 10-7 lead.
- Luke Del Rio will throw at least two touchdown passes. Right. Del Rio tossed two TD passes.
- Del Rio will throw at least one interception. Wrong. A spotless night.
- Del Rio’s passer rating will be higher than 145.43 — the number posted by Will Grier as a Gator in 2015. Wrong. Del Rio ended up with a 129.78, largely because of his paltry 5.8 yards per attempt.
- Jordan Cronkrite will lead Florida in rushing yards. Wrong. Wrong Jordan.
- Cronkrite will not lead Florida in yards per carry. Right. Jordan Scarlett did, at 5.38.
- All three of Cronkrite, Jordan Scarlett, and Mark Thompson will have at least eight carries. Wrong. Scarlett had 13, Thompson had six, and Cronkrite had just three.
- Lamical Perine will have at least three carries. Wrong. He fumbled on his first one, and didn’t get another.
- Dre Massey will make a big play either on offense or special teams. Wrong. Getting hurt sadly ruled out that possibility.
- Florida will score at least 38 points on offensive possessions. Wrong. Um.
- CeCe Jefferson will record at least one sack. Wrong. Jefferson had just one tackle on the night.
- Jarrad Davis will lead Florida in tackles. Right. He had nine.
- Alex Anzalone will have at least five tackles. Right. He had six.
- Florida will play primarily with five defensive backs and two linebackers, despite listing three linebackers as starters on its depth chart. Wrong. I’m calling this wrong, though I reserve the right to go back and check.
- Joseph Putu will make a big play on defense. Right. Putu was in on the tackle that denied a fourth-and-short conversion in Florida territory.
- Quincy Wilson will make a big play on defense. Wrong. Wilson was hardly thrown at.
- Massachusetts will not gain 300 yards. Right. Just 187.
- Florida’s defense will allow fewer than 4.5 yards per play. Right. 3.6 on the button.
- Florida will force at least one turnover. Wrong. No turnovers...
- Florida will win the turnover battle. Wrong. ...by either team!
- Eddy Pineiro will make a field goal of at least 45 yards. Right. Two, in fact.
- Pineiro will make more than 50 percent of his field goals. Right. 100 percent!
- Florida will win, 55-13. Wrong. But obviously so very close...
Last week: 10-for-25, 40 percent.
2016 season to date: 10-for-25, 40 percent.