Florida Gators head coach Jim McElwain met with members of the media today to give a post-spring break update on the Gators’ 2017 spring practices.
A few notes and highlights from the press conference:
- Jim McElwain is excited for Florida men’s basketball’s appearance in the NCAA tournament, and feels sorry for the baseball team playing tonight in the cold.
- Rick Wells’ surgery went well, and Kavaris Harkless is still out.
- Luke Del Rio will have another shoulder surgery tomorrow, which McElwain characterized as “not major.”
- Jim McElwain emphatically called the Gators “fast,” noting that team speed is something that had impressed him so far in spring.
- McElwain is “bummed out” that Florida tips off at 3:10 p.m. on Thursday in the NCAA Tournament, as that is when the gridiron Gators are scheduled to hold some open practice periods.
- McElwain notes that developing a consistent pass rusher off the edge is one of the defense’s priorities.
- Randy Shannon and the defense have also focused on improving communication among the defensive players.
- McElwain is impressed with Kyle Trask’s understanding of where to go with the ball, and his cerebral approach, but wants him to “cut it loose a little faster.”
- The Gators received SEC East title / Outback Bowl Champion rings at Sunday’s team dinner.
- The Eastern Washington staff is in town to watch the Gators. Jim McElwain said that they are sleeping in his garage.