Florida Gators coach Jim McElwain probably won’t announce the starting quarterback for Florida’s Saturday meeting with Michigan in the 2017 AdvoCare Classic in his Monday meeting with the assembled Gainesville-based members of the Florida beat, scheduled to start any minute now.
Why would he do that now, when Florida is mere days away from getting through an entire offseason without tipping its hand toward redshirt freshman phenom Feleipe Franks, graduate transfer Malik Zaire, or incumbent-ish starter Luke Del Rio? What is there to gain from a public announcement of Florida’s starter at this stage? And why on Earth would McElwain give any bit of knowledge to Michigan, whose secrecy under Jim Harbaugh would give J. Edgar Hoover warm fuzzies?
Football is definitely a sport that is supposed to be fun and not a proxy for war staged by coaches who wish they could be generals, right?
Anyway, McElwain will say words from behind a podium shortly, and we’ll write about those words. Watch and follow along below.
- McElwain contrasted the excitement for Saturday’s game with the “real life” happening for those affected by Hurricane Harvey in Texas.
- McElwain opaquely downplayed Michigan’s opacity by explaining that the “unknown piece” of new players and new schemes has more to do with Florida than Michigan.
- McElwain: “We’ve got to create some field position” on special teams “when given the opportunity.” Not just via punter, kicker, but through return teams.
- McElwain on QBs: “We have a plan. It’s in place.” Would not elaborate, and says “We’ll leave that for them to guess as well.”
- Minimal injury news: C.J. McWilliams (out), Kemore Gamble (doubtful), Kylan Johnson is banged up (“iffy”), but expected to play.
- McElwain suggests that he did not look much at the 2016 Capital One Bowl film to prep for Michigan. “I think I threw up all over it.”
- QBs plan could change beyond Michigan: “I think it’ll evolve as we go.”
- Asked: “James Robinson’s status, is he good to play in this game?” McElwain: “No, of course not.” Presumably, that means Robinson is suspended, despite Florida saying only that his citation for marijuana possession had been “dealt with” last week.
- A lot of other mostly meaningless stuff, with a few nuggets — CeCe Jefferson is good at football, fast players will take Antonio Callaway’s place on returns for now — therein.