Jim McElwain met with the media tonight after Florida’s come from behind 28-27 squeaker over Kentucky. Florida’s head coach again discussed the Gators’ coming away with a close win.
You can view the press conference in its entirety at this link.
Here are some quotes from McElwain’s post-game presser:
- McElwain notes he likes the fight in this team.
- “We had some pretty good play by some guys and some pretty bad play by some guys.”
- On changing quarterbacks: “A coach around here for a long time used to throw quarterbacks in here or there at the drop of a hat. Maybe I learned something from him.”
- On the decision to pull Feleipe Franks: “We just felt we needed a jumpstart a little bit. Feleipe didn’t do anything wrong. He was disappointed about it, but he’s also one of the happiest guys in there that we won.”
- When asked whether Luke Del Rio would get the start next week: “We’ll sit down and evaluate it and look at the video. Luke thew it to the wrong colored jersey once and missed a post to Tyrie that would have been a home run, but I thought he moved around.”
- He highlighted Del Rio’s fourth down conversion to Mark Thompson as an example of a “veteran move.”
- Malik Davis was hot, thus the added touches for him.
- McElwain was not effusive in his praise for playmaker Kadarius Toney, but noted that his continuing to work out of the “Gator package” would “add some things” and help the Gators.
- In injury news - Tyrie Cleveland “tweaked” his shoulder, Brandon Powell hurt his ribs, Cristian Garcia hurt his shoulder, and Khairi Clark had “more than a cramp.”
Quarterback Luke Del Rio also spoke with the media. You can find his press conference in its entirety here. Del Rio also spoke to Florida’s Mitch Gerber after the game, as did Jabari Zuniga and Taven Bryan.
CeCe Jefferson was quoted by some reporters, but Florida doesn’t have a link of any media time with him available - which is a shame because he is a delight.
Jefferson told assembled media that #Gators RB Malik Davis "put the team on his back and was carrying us" in 28-27 win vs. Kentucky— Graham Hall (@GrahamHall_) September 24, 2017
CeCe Jefferson w/ the Madden reference: "Kadarius Toney, that boy got a create-a-player name. That's what he plays like, a create-a-player."— Ian Cohen (@icohenb) September 24, 2017
Some notes from Del Rio’s comments:
- Del Rio, when asked whether he deserves the starting job: “I’m not really worried about that right now, just happy we won tonight.”
- Del Rio was also asked how Feleipe Franks handled being pulled: “He was supportive. He didn’t pout. It’s hard not to.”
And here are the highlights from the Gators’ triumph in Lexington: